Motorhome Rental FAQs

Here are answers to some of the most popular motorhome and campervan questions we get asked from our rental customers. We also have more in-depth guides and info over on our blog section, so be sure to check that out to brush up on all things "motorhome in Scotland"

If, however, you can't find what you're looking for, please feel free to get in touch with our friendly team and we'll assist you the best we can! 

Some helpful links:

More information on our motorhome rental rates. 

Our selection of motorhomes for hire.

More about Struans!

What our past customers are saying!

General Motorhome Hire Questions


Yes no problem. We just ask that you contact us in advance to arrange a suitable time that we will have the models you want to see on time and a member of staff available to show you round.

Yes that's no problem at all, you can leave your car with us and head straight off on your holiday.. We have a large site with 3 car dealerships and plenty of parking with 24hr CCTV but please note we do not accept any liability for vehicles left with us.

No - our motorhomes are under 3500kg so as long as you can drive a manual car you can drive one of our motorhomes. You just need to be aged 25 - 75 and held your full licence over 2 years.

Please also check our section about UK licences with penalty points.

Yes all our prices include comprehensive insurance for a driver aged 25 - 75.

You need to have passed your test at least 2 years ago and we need to know about any points/convictions on your licence as there are some restrictions that could affect our ability to provide insurance.

You are liable for a maximum £1000 damage to our motorhome per accident damage but you can reduce this down to £250 by paying an extra £15 per day. 


If you have a UK licence we can normally insure you if you have up to 6 points as long as they are for minor offences such as speeding or mobile phone use.

We need to phone our insurance company to check if they will insure you if you have :

  • More than 6 points on your licence
  • Points for more serious offences which have codes starting IN, DD, CD
  • Have had your licence back less than 5 years after being banned
  • we need to check with our insurance company if they will cover you.

This can only be done on weekdays between 9am and 5pm (excluding bank holidays).

All drivers must be present and show their driving licence.

Drivers from the UK must also bring:

  • A DVLA Check Code which you can obtain Here . This allows us to check your licences for points. Please note the code is only valid for up to 21 days so needs to obtained close to the rental date and the code can only be used once.
  • Proof of address dated in the last 3 months is required from all hirers  - something official such as a bank statement, utility bill, council tax etc

Drivers from other countries must also show their passport or ID card.

When collecting your motorhome you need to pay a refundable security deposit equivalent to the insurance excess you have chosen (£1000 or £250)

When you don't stay overnight at a camp site most people call it wild camping. Our motorhomes and campervans are designed to be either be hooked up at campsites or wild camp.

See our Blog on wild camping for more information and rules you should follow.

We offer inclusive rates and you do not need to pay any more than that. The motorhome comes with a full bottle of gas and spare toilet fluid.

There are some options though and the most common ones are to reduce your insurance excess from £1000 to £250, additional drivers or for bedding packs (sheets, duvet, pillows and towels).

When you book a motorhome there is a 25% deposit required to secure it.

The balance is then due roughly 6 weeks before you are due to collect.

Then on the day there is a security deposit equivalent to the insurance excess.

Our motorhomes come with an allowance of 150 miles per day with excess charged at 15p per mile.

Very rarely do customers go over this mileage and we would not charge if you were slightly over.

If your are spending a week touring Scotland most people tend to do 700-800 miles.

We can never guarantee a certain fuel economy as it varies with the weight of vehicle, driving style and roads you are driving on but whenever we check the trip computers they tend to always be around the 29 - 31mpg range (9.74 - 911l/km)

Yes but we have specific vehicles are pet friendly due to allergy reasons and you must let us know at the time of booking so we can allocate the correct motorhome.

If booking online make sure to choose one of the Pet Friendly models.

There is a £50 surcharge for pet friendly vehicles to cover increased cleaning and greater wear and tear.

Yes. Most of our motorhomes have either removable bike racks or garages to store bikes. Please advise us at the time if you will be taking bikes.

Please note the bike racks have a 50kg limit and we may weigh your bikes to make sure they fit under this limit.

We always recommend that you carry an allen key with you incase the handlebars need adjusted..

Because of the design of our Elddis 2 berth and Autoquest 155 models they use a suspension type bike rack that is suitable for most bikes but might not be suitable for large/unusually shaped frames. These frames also require the bike to have a crossbar and if your bike does not have then we can supply a removable one but these must be booked in advance..

We do not rent bikes but if you are looking for one we would suggest contacting the Bike Station in Perth . This is a charity that sells reconditioned bikes which is often a cheaper option than renting. At the end of the hire you can donate the bike back to them.

No sorry all motorhomes need to be collected from our site where the paperwork is processed.

However we do offer a chargeable service to collect you and bring you to our office and return you at the end. This is particularly popular for people coming into airports such as Edinburgh.

This can vary a lot.

Although the paperwork only takes 5 minutes we will spend as long as it takes going over the operation of the motorhome until you are happy, but typically it is best to allow 45min to an hour.

If you are wanting to get away as fast as possible and able to come into our office before the collection day then we could try and organise an advance handover. This is subject to staff availability and a motorhome of the correct model being on site but would mean we just needed to do the paperwork and a damage inspection before you drive off.

Our standard collection time is 2pm, with the latest being 4pm, and return by 10am but we do now offer the option of an early 10am collection or late 3pm return. See our Rates page for costs.

We realise your holiday is very important to you and in the unlikely event of you having a problem we would always do our best to get you back on the road.

For mechanical issues or punctures during your rental we have 24 hour breakdown assistance, or for issues with the motorhome operation you need to contact us so that we can either talk you through how to fix an issue or try to locate a local motorhome repair service near where you are that you could visit.

Because of our size we are able to keep a motorhome in reserve for in case of emergencies. This means if there was a serious issue that could not be fixed we would try and swap you over to another vehicle so that you could continue enjoying your holiday.

Unfortunately our motorhomes can only be used in the UK including any islands. We do not allow them and they are not insured to go to Southern Ireland or mainland Europe.

Motorhomes can be collected and returned 7 days, plus we have a key return facility if you want to return one when we are closed, although we do reccomend returning during our opening hours so that the motorhome can be inspected while you are there.

We do any combination of days with a minimum period of 3 days in most months or a minimum 7 days in July and August.


Motorhome Hire Costs

Our rental cost starts at £360, depending on the season and the type of motorhome or campervan you want to rent. Check our full motorhome rental rates here.  

If the period you’re looking for is not included in our rental rates, please contact us for a quote

We offer motorhome rental packages for a week, which start at £595. You can access the exact cost of motorhome hire at Struans via our site. Please note that the rates included depend on the season and type of motorhome or campervan you are planning to rent.  

Our rates include a mileage allowance of 150 miles per day. This allowance is easily enough for our customers who tend to drive 2 to 3 hours per day, whilst visiting fantastic Scottish landmarks along the way. 

We require a 25% deposit for bookings made 6 weeks before the start of the rental. If the rental is less than 6 weeks away, the full amount must be paid at the time of booking. 

Please immediately inform us in writing if you decide to cancel your booking with us. If we receive the notification more than six weeks before the start of your rental, you will be refunded in full (less an administration fee of £100).  

On the contrary, if we receive the notification less than six weeks before the start of rental, all payments made are non-refundable and you will still be liable for any amount due.  

However, once we can rehire the motorhome you cancelled, you will be able to refund up to the maximum cost of your total hire (less an administration fee of £250). The total amount will depend on the price we rehire the motorhome for.  

We accept payments through bank transfer or debit /credit cards (excluding American Express and Diners' Club).   

For international customers, we can take payments using Wise (previously called Transferwise), which normally has a better exchange rate and lower charges than banks.  

When collecting the motorhome you rented, you must leave a refundable security deposit equivalent to the insurance excess you have chosen (£250 or £1,000).  

Motorhome Rental Questions

There are subtle differences between a campervan and a motorhome. For starters, a motorhome is a purpose-built mobile home while a campervan is a van converted into a mobile living space.   

Additionally, a motorhome offers a larger space that’s perfect for families. It has a well-designed layout that provides everything you need for living: kitchen, washroom, sleeping space, relaxation space.  

On the other hand, a campervan is smaller in size and has fewer facilities, which can be ideal for solo traveling. It has an open layout that restricts it from having different rooms and compartments.   

Yes! At Struans Leisure, you can rent out automatic campervans and motorhomes for an additional £5 per day on top of the original rental rate.  

You can get the best quality motorhome by going to a trusted motorhome hire company. At Struans Leisure, we offer top-quality motorhomes and campervans for a fantastic price, ranging from Sun Living and Elddis motorhomes in 2, 4, and 6 berth sizes.  

Our team will be on-hand to help and guide you through every part of your motorhome travel journey.    

We have a minimum rental of 3 days on any month — except from July and August when the minimum rental period is 7 days. 

Of course! We have dedicated pet-friendly motorhomes available so you can bring your pets on your adventure. Please note that there is a supplemental fee of £50 when renting out our pet-friendly motorhomes. 

Upon collecting your rented motorhome, all drivers are required to show their driving licences plus additional ID and/or proof of address. UK licence holders must also provide a DVLA Check code.  

Driving a motorhome or campervan is similar to driving a regular car. The only difference is that motorhomes are much larger. The main thing you need to be aware of is the lack of rear visibility. However, you can manage this with the help of larger wing mirrors.   

Overall, you just need confidence and good driving skills, and you are ready to travel around Scotland in a rented motorhome or campervan.

Your security deposit will normally be returned within 3 working days after the end of the hire period, provided the motorhome is returned to us in a satisfactory condition and at the location, date, and time agreed.   

The satisfactory condition includes a clean and undamaged motorhome or campervan —with all tools, accessories, and equipment in the same condition as when collected and having been operated reasonably. 

Cleaning charges which may be deducted from the security deposit include:  

  • The fridge / Freezer is not clean: £25  
  • The cooker hob or grill is not clean: £25  
  • Shower / Toilet Compartment is not clean: £50  
  • The toilet cassette is not emptied and cleaned: £100  Mattress stains requiring deep cleaning: £50  
  • Interior excessively dirty: £25 - £100  

If charges, including damage repair and replacement, exceed the level of security deposit paid, you will be charged any additional sum to cover this excess and that sum will be due immediately at the end of the hire.  

We rent a range of quality motorhomes and campervans to help you travel around Scotland comfortably and easily. From compact campervans perfect for couples, to large motorhomes ideal for the whole family, you'll find the perfect vehicle at Struans.

Our full range of motorhomes and campervans for hire include:  

Yes, you can easily enjoy the beauty of the North of Scotland in a motorhome or campervan. Driving The NC500 in a motorhome is the best way to experience Scotland's beautiful scenery.

The NC500 is one of the UK's most popular driving routes and is perfect for discovering some of Scotland’s hidden gems. 

Motorhome Rules and Laws

By law, you cannot park your vehicle on private property or public land unless you have the landowner’s permission. For most roads, this will be likely the local authority or highway agencies.

However, there are public parking and campervan sites where you can park comfortably and legally.    

While there are no laws specifically preventing campers from parking in a layby overnight, the Highland Council’s Tourism Committee has released designated car parks across Inverness, Nairn, Caithness, Wick, Sutherland and Wester Ross where people can park and stay overnight, helping motorhome drivers park safely and legally.   

Yes. Wearing a seatbelt while driving or travelling as a passenger in any moving vehicle is a legal requirement. It’s also a protective measure to ensure the safety of you and your passengers.

The speed limit depends on the Maximum authorised mass (MAM) and Maximum unladen weight (MUW) of your vehicle.  

If the maximum unladen weight of the motorhome or campervan is less than 3 tonnes, you must follow these limits:  

  • 70mph on motorways  
  • 70mph on dual carriageways  
  • 60mph on single carriageways  
  • 30mph built-up areas  

If the motorhome or caravan is over three tonnes, then you must follow:    

  • 70mph on motorways  
  • 60mph on dual carriageways  
  • 50mph on single carriageways  
  • 30mph built-up areas  

All vehicles with an MAM above 3 tonnes are limited to 56mph under the EU law.  

If you are visiting the UK from another country, you will need to present an international driving licence that has been translated into English when renting a campervan or motorhome in Scotland.  

If you are a British Driving Licence holder, you can bring your DVLA check code when you collect your rental campervan. 

Contact Us

To comply with data protection regulations (2018), we are unable to store and use your information unless you give us your permission. Please select Yes to allow this. View our data protection policy for details.